Sunday, June 1, 2014

Chapter 14-Held in the Grip of Love

Quite honestly, I've been having a really hard time thinking of the next chapters of my story, maybe because, for me, the most difficult hadn't even occurred yet.

Even though I had a year to prepare emotionally for mom’s passing away, at the funeral, I was still in shock. It was so final. I tried crying but couldn't. I just felt sad and couldn't believe she was actually gone. In some ways, it was all a blur. I remember Shiloh Mennonite Church was full. I wore black as a symbol of my sadness.   A lot of mom’s sisters came to the funeral. It was nice to have them there but I wasn't in the mood for much talk.

Dad planned the funeral. He put a lot of thought into it. It was given in English and translated into Spanish for the Hispanic people present. Dad picked some worship songs sung in English and Spanish. He asked several people from different walks of mom’s life to talk about her. DeLynn talked on behalf of the family. Pablo Kauffman gave the sermon. David Villalta, pastor of the Hilliard Hispanic Church gave a reflection. A representative from RMM and EMM each shared. Uncle Jose closed in prayer.

Everyone was dismissed and our immediate family was left to say goodbye. How does one say goodbye to mom? I still don’t know. In some ways I don’t think you do since she continues to live on in my heart. She passed on to me so many things one doesn't ever forget her.

The burial was scheduled right after funeral. But plans changed since the hold wasn't big enough for the casket! Yea, kind of funny! So everyone was invited to each lunch together and then we had the burial following.

Some of the people that were there that really made an impression on me was my best friend, Rhoda. Her and her husband happen to be home of furlough from China. After the funeral we were able to talk. It was a privilege to have her there. The other person I was privileged to have there was a childhood friend, Dorcus from Oregon.  At that time she lived in northern Ohio so she made the trip. It was so nice to see her. At the viewing, a long time friend of the family, Jim Lowe came. As I saw him come into the sanctuary, I couldn't believe he came. He himself was fighting cancer and was in a very fragile state and could hardly talk. I felt so loved to have him there.


After everything was over, the Gingrich family stayed around. I would have liked to have stayed but was scheduled to fly back to Costa Rica the next day. I hadn't planned it that way, but God had. It was time for me to go back and take care of my own family, or better said, let them care for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment